Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Marketing and Recruiting, the Director of Marketing serves an integral role in the growth of enrollments within the professional, graduate, and undergraduate markets. Working with the Assistant Vice President of Marketing and Recruiting, and other key University leaders, the Director of Marketing is responsible for leading and executing differentiated marketing strategies that drive enrollment, enhance awareness and reputation, and contribute to the overall success of Northeastern University's graduate and professional programs.
A critical leader on the marketing team, the Director oversees day-to-day management of the product marketing function to drive growth for degree programs, including the development of messaging and collateral, and create new approaches to the overall marketing experience for prospective students and applicants. The Director is deeply engaged with all aspects of the enrollment function including recruitment and admissions activities, lead nurturing, coaching and sales, marketing operations, and digital strategy. He/she is expected to partner collaboratively with senior leaders in each of these teams to contribute to the overall success of lead generation and nurturing efforts for prospective students and applicants. The Director will manage a team of marketing experts who are required to meet aggressive business goals and contribute at a high level across the University.
Working closely with content and creative teams internally and externally, the Director supports the execution of an integrated marketing and communications strategy by developing and implementing strategic messaging for the marketing vehicles and degree programs, aligning messaging to audience needs, and ensuring consistency in branding and graphic identity.
The Director is data-driven in his/her approach to optimization and ensures tracking of information and trends to measure effectiveness of various marketing approaches in meeting enrollment targets. He/she works collaboratively with the Director of Demand Generation and the Analytics team in the development of a KPI framework to measure campaign effectiveness, and contributes to an overall enrollment KPI framework to measure results against enrollment goals.
The Director works with a high level of independence, challenges the status quo, offers new ideas and techniques to improve marketing and communications outcomes. He/she embraces new ideas; is innovative, anticipates future needs; shares knowledge, and teaches others to do the same. It is an expectation that the Director is a strong communicator and collaborative partner, able to work up, down and across the Organization.
Key responsibilities include:
- Participates in development of strategic enrollment planning that supports the University's enrollment goals, including lead generation and nurturing, as well as overall awareness and reputation for the graduate and professional programs.
- Directs the development and execution of marketing plans, positioning, messaging and content creation strategies for Undergraduate and Graduate Professional degree programs. Plans are completed in collaboration with AVP of Marketing and Recruiting, Director of Demand Generation, and other members of the Leadership team.
- Oversees the marketing pipeline for degree programs including monitoring the lead volume and quality as well as the optimization of activities through conversion. Ensures all activities are managed against a KPI framework to measure campaign effectiveness and budget managed for each effectively.
- Acts as key collaboration partner with academic leadership in the colleges for degree program marketing strategies and oversees the communication and sharing of marketing strategies with internal teams.
- Manages and develops a team of highly skilled marketers to deliver on enrollment goals, set, prioritize, and manage measurable objectives, and ensure the overall success of the team.
- Partners with leadership in Recruiting, Enrollment Management and other internal and external resources to contribute to successful recruitment and coaching strategies. Ensures University's brand and messaging are being delivered consistently through these strategies.
- Collaborates closely with the Director of Demand Generation and the AVP of Digital Strategy to develop successful digital strategies for all major lead generator Web properties. Ensures plan for continuous quality improvements, content oversight and brand and message representation.
- Partners with the Senior Director of Engagement Technology and Operations to ensure effective technology strategies to provide insights on campaign effectiveness and efficiency.
- Monitors trends and applies knowledge to planning and execution of marketing strategy; supports enrollment efforts through development of new strategies and programs.
Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred. 8-10 years of experience in marketing and communications with demonstrated mastery of multiple marketing disciplines. Proven success in development and execution of strategic marketing plans and programs that leverage a range of outbound and inbound strategies as well as a variety of channels. Experience developing and managing against a KPI framework for marketing success. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Flexible, creative thinker open to new ideas and changing priorities within a fast-paced organization. Strong project management skills and ability to manage stakeholder expectations. Ability to think and act both analytically and strategically. Working knowledge of marketing automation and CRM tools and strategy to achieve lead generation and lead nurture goals. Preference for knowledge of both Marketo and Salesforce.
Proven ability to work with vendors and agencies to produce results. This may include digital agencies, creative agencies, designers, call centers, and/or sales partners.
Prior experience in supervising a team of marketing professionals is required. Ability to work efficiently, creatively and meet deadlines. Demonstrated ability to make decisions and exercise sound judgment. Exercise diplomacy and tact.
Requisition Number: STFR005104
Internal Number: 58630
About Northeastern University
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.