Executive Director of Marketing University of California, Merced
Job Category: Managerial/Professional Unit: External Relations Position Code: SSER8311A Status: Open Closing Date: Open Until Filled. Initial Review will begin on or around 8/30/2018 Salary: $90,000 - $105,000 Location: DCC - Downtown Campus Center
Background check: Background check and fingerprinting may be required
Description: The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
WHY COME TO UC MERCED?
Cutting-edge sustainability and clean energy focus. Outstanding benefits with significant paid time off. A culture of collaboration that is mission-driven. Radically fast, high-performance super computing capabilities. An affordable and welcoming community. Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to put your mark on a growing Research University.
ABOUT THE JOB
Under supervision of the Chief of Staff for External Relations, the Executive Director of Marketing will be responsible for developing and executing comprehensive multi-channel marketing strategy that align with campus-wide initiatives to advance university priorities, including, but not limited to supporting student recruitment and enrollment goals, advancing the academic reputation of the university and its distinctive academic programs promoting student successes and philanthropic and strategic fundraising partnerships initiatives. In partnership with the Vice Chancellor for External Relations, the Executive Director will serve in a vital management and leadership role and will manage the University's marketing staff including multi-media, social media, print, web and special events.
The Executive Director will work with campus marketing and creative professionals to promote a consistent, compelling brand and message to prospective and current students, parents, alumni, faculty, staff, and corporations and industry partners.
1) Brand Development: Promotes, manages and Stewards UC Merced's brand and visual identity on and off campus. Responsible for managing and monitoring the brand positioning and ensure brand integrity. Oversee continuous innovation for the brand.
2) Strategy/Planning: Creates, implements, collaborates and measures the success of campus marketing efforts, using strategies and tactics that will enhance the image and position of UC Merced within the marketplace and the general public.
3) Serves as a consultant to schools and divisions on brand development and strategies. Together with respective school faculty and staff, provide marketing strategy assistance to deans. Strengthens existing marketing brands across the campus to incorporate with overall marketing brand of UC Merced. Develop a proactive and collaborative marketing approach with departments and schools.
4) Works with staff to develop the strategy to manage digital communications for UC Merced, including websites, digital newsletters and social media. Ensures regular, appropriate and relevant postings on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and other sites. Leads and oversees social media marketing campaigns and day to day activities including develop related content topics to cover broad spectrum of marketing objectives.
5) Manages a staff to implement the marketing programs across a variety of channels (e.g., print, multi-media, video, visual and digital media, special events, email and the Web).
6) Oversees the Marketing department including employee performance management and work productivity. Selects, trains, mentors, guides, directs and evaluates staff, and, as required, takes corrective action.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, public relations or related area and five (5) years of progressively responsible related experience in marketing and/or public relations in a complex environment.
- Five years of managing the marketing function within a complex environment.
- Candidate must have understanding of student recruitment, fundraising, and community relations. Preferably in a higher education or not for profit setting.
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Strong knowledge of current and emerging industry requirements and best practices in areas of marketing, branding and social media.
- Strong skills in strategic planning to effectively organize resources, establish priorities, and achieve desired results.
- Strong skills in managing staff including selection, training, evaluating and mentoring staff at all organizational levels; skilled in Performance Management with staff as appropriate.
- Strong interpersonal communication and political acumen to effectively work with internal customers and external constituencies with demonstrated ability as a collaborative, flexible, clear-thinking, strategic partner who puts the needs of the university first and helps colleagues to be more effective in their respective roles.
- Strong market research, analytical, and problem recognition / avoidance / resolution skills.
- Strong analytical and reporting skills to produce results and achieve predetermined goals within budget and time constraints.
- Strong knowledge of applicable University policies and state and federal laws regarding copyright and other licensing issues.
- Strong project management experience required.
- Master's degree in related area such as business, marketing or public relations
To Apply: Click on the link below to use our new on-line application system.
If you do not have internet access you may mail your application, resume, and cover letter to: University of California, Merced, 5200 North Lake Rd., Merced CA 95343. Please list the job number on the subject line.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
UC Merced is the first new American research university built in the 21st century, with a mission of research, teaching and service. The campus opened Sept. 5, 2005, in the San Joaquin Valley. The university is about an hour north of Fresno, two hours south of Sacramento, two hours southeast of San Francisco and the Silicon Valley, and 90 minutes west of Yosemite National Park.