A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The School of Information (UMSI) is a progressive, interdisciplinary professional school offering a Bachelor of Science in Information, a Master of Science in Information, a Master of Health Informatics, and a Ph.D. Our mission is to create and share knowledge so that people will use information – with technology – to build a better world.
Reporting to the UMSI Director of Marketing and Communications, the Associate Director of Marketing will be responsible for creating and executing all facets of its marketing strategy in collaboration with a number of other UMSI units and programs.
The UMSI Marketing and Communications team is responsible for a wide variety of outreach related to the school’s activities and audiences. We are equal partners on recruitment of new students with our Office of Student Affairs, work with our Office of Development for donor recruitment and alumni activities, and conduct a wide variety of educational and promotional outreach in support of the school’s reputation and leadership in the information space. This is a groundbreaking school, and we have an M&C team to match.
This senior role will be responsible for all elements related to look, feel, branding and advertising/promotion of the school through marketing channels. This person will also provide the marketing-related reports, metrics and information necessary to evaluate and refine our plans moving forward.
The Associate Director of Marketing will supervise a team composed of a multimedia designer, videographer/photographer and a digital marketing specialist, in addition to various temporary employees working with those positions. We’re looking for someone who wants to set and execute ambitious marketing strategy with the support of a dedicated, creative staff.
You’ll be working on-site with a tight-knit team of savvy marketers and communicators, providing you with best-in-class resources to draw upon. We like each other, and we try to make the workplace fun. Surprise us! We crave new ideas. We welcome people from a wide variety of backgrounds and interests.
For more information about UMSI, please visit our website.
As Associate Director for Marketing, you will:
- Oversee the creation of branding standards for the school and each of its programs, including comprehensive attention to the look and feel of each, with annual updates;
- Create marketing strategy for the school in collaboration with the M&C team and other UMSI units;
- Create, coordinate and manage techniques and tactics to achieve that strategy;
- Measure the success of our marketing efforts using metrics provided by M&C employees to make recommendations for improvements;
- Work closely with the other senior members of the team to set overall marketing and communications strategy for UMSI;
- Manage a team of three permanent and various temporary employees, ensuring the best possible happiness and progression for that group;
- Help to manage projects involving your team and communicate out about those projects;
- Execute other marketing-related duties as assigned by the Director.
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing, information, technology, journalism, communications, English, or a related field
- Minimum of five years of progressively increasing experience in a similar role in marketing and communications
- Minimum of two years of supervisory experience managing multiple employees, including recruiting, mentoring, career development and performance management, leadership, and/or team building
- Proven experience in enacting marketing strategy for organizations
- Proven experience managing complex projects
- Basic familiarity or experience creating or managing both visual assets and web development
- Excellent judgment regarding standards and ethics
- Experience working with diverse organizational units as part of day-to-day responsibilities
- Ability to work in shared, collaborative space; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; ability to independently manage a position that changes from day to day
- An advanced degree in marketing, information, technology, computer science, journalism, communications, English, or a related field
- Experience working in an academic environment
- Five years of experience managing teams of highly functioning creative employees
- Experience managing visual media and design and web development
- Experience working in a mid-sized marketing team of 10-15 or more professionals
- Demonstrated creativity in approach to marketing and/or communications projects
Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required.
A marketing portfolio will be requested as part of the interview and selection process. Writing samples may be requested.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.