Classification Title: FT Administrator - Major Director
City/Campus: Detroit - McNichols
Department: Marketing and Public Affairs
Position Status: Full Time
Under the general direction of the Vice President of University Advancement, the Associate Vice President for Marketing & Public Affairs will lead and advance the branding and marketing communications strategy and programs for University of Detroit Mercy. The position will be responsible for developing a strategic, integrated marketing communications plan to advance Detroit Mercy’s brand identity, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities, and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences in support of the University’s Strategic Plan goals. The Associate Vice President will work collaboratively with constituencies across the University; manage an eight-person staff; and supervise external vendors, consultants and volunteers. The position plans, coordinates, organizes and evaluates department functions, which include print and digital communications, website content management and training; integrated marketing and brand strategy, media relations and social media. This role also will provide counsel to University leadership and staff regarding critical communications issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversees the Detroit Mercy brand implementation, clarifying, articulating and executing communication of key messages that define and differentiate Detroit Mercy to external as well as internal constituencies across all communication outlets.
2. Leads a team of eight staff members with primary focus on the coordination and implementation of integrated marketing and communications, including:
—the writing, design and production of print and digital publications and other communications;
—the development and coordination of marketing campaigns (including print and online advertising, radio and TV spots, web pages and direct mail) with measurable objectives and timeline;
—the implementation of a strategic media relations plan to aggressively promote the accomplishments of the University community and programs, and its community development initiatives in support of Detroit’s revitalization;
—the development and maintenance of website content and design;
—the creation and implementation of a strategic social media plan to generate greater engagement with key constituents.
3. Reviews, maintains, and improves tracking systems to help measure and evaluate the effectiveness of all Detroit Mercy marketing activities.
4. Collaborates with the Division of Enrollment Management to create strategies and materials to help generate increased student enrollment.
5. Works closely with the Vice President for University Advancement and Development staff in creating effective communications to engage alumni and donors, resulting in increased financial support for the University.
6. Provides counsel and support to University deans and departments in assessing and developing specific marketing/communication functions.
7. Coordinates the development of communications for the President and Vice President of University Advancement, including speeches, letters and other editorial materials or projects.
8. Participates as member of leadership team in the Department of University of Advancement in creating and executing department objectives.
9. Manages communications for crises and other unanticipated events.
10. Develops and administers annual department budget, making prudent financial decisions and following University fiscal policy and procedures.
11. Counsels and advises University leadership and personnel on critical communication issues.
12. Represents the University to media, advisory groups and other constituency leaders and volunteer organizations.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.