Carnegie Mellon University is a private, global research university that challenges the curious and passionate to deliver work that matters. Our world-class institution has distinctive areas of excellence and a culture marked by passion, ambition and a deep, practical engagement with challenges facing society. We continue to produce talented alumni and draw faculty and staff eager to be a part of the university's creative, dedicated and close-knit community. We place emphasis on practical problem solving, interdisciplinary learning, an entrepreneurial spirit, and collaboration.
CMU is seeking a marketing professional for the Marketing & Communications division to help lead campus-wide planning for and curation of the campus visitor experience. The Visitor Experience Manager reports to the Assistant Vice President for Strategy and Operations, and will have frequent interaction with the senior marketing team as well as the Vice President of Marketing and Communications.
The primary role of this position is to serve as a leader for the quality and impact of the visitor experience across the university. The goal of this initiative is to deepen the university's reputation and affinity through positive, direct personal engagements that are compelling and consistent. The impressions and messages that visitors take away from a campus visit whether it is prospective families, corporate partners, political officials, parents, academics from other institutions, or simply tourists are powerful. CMU visitor-centered projects within this initiative include the design and oversight of a new university welcome center.
- Creating a strategic plan aligned with CMU's larger communications and marketing strategy
- Convening campus stakeholders and college representatives to plan, coordinate and seek support, as needed
- Managing the content creation for the visitor experience in a variety of campus facilities to ensure a positive interaction for the visitor
- Serving as the point of contact for scheduling content to ensure the experience remains dynamic and relevant
- Leading and coordinating internal resources and third parties/vendors for the execution of visitor experience projects and initiatives, providing guidance for the procurement of hardware and software
- Providing quality control (on time, on strategy and on budget) and coordination of timelines as well as the communications process
- Managing digital signage and tools, including small to large-scale, kiosks, handheld, media walls and mobile technology
- Working in concert with designers, writers and editors, to develop and deliver an extraordinary experience for visitors
The ideal match for this position will have experience working with strategic brand marketing, marketing communications, and visual and architectural design, including project management. Candidates should have an understanding of visitor experience and visitor engagement strategies as well as audience targeting and segmenting. Demonstration of excellent written and oral communications skills, researching skills, interpersonal skills, reasoning, problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as strong organizational skills and team-orientation are vital to success.
An ability to work independently and handle multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment is important. You should also be comfortable attending high-level meetings with senior administration as an experienced consultant and must demonstrate a high level of integrity, trustworthiness and respect. The ability to work after hours and on weekends, when appropriate, is needed. You will initially work in downtown Pittsburgh and then move to CMU's Oakland campus by mid-2017.
To be considered for this position, please submit a resume, letter of interest and salary requirements with your application.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, architecture, business or other relevant field required, Master's degree preferred
- At least 8-10 years of experience in marketing communications, project coordination and management, visual design, facilities management, museum curation, construction management, or visitor experience management; this is a non-supervisory role; experience managing cross-functional teams is preferred
- Project Management Certification (PMP) is a plus
Please visit Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/index.html. A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html.
Carnegie Mellon University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.